When calculating how much space you need, there are several important factors to consider which will have an extensive impact on your business. Too much space will have residual effects on your profitability; too little space can limit performance, demoralise the staff and restrict your abilities to grow as a business. Sitting with an office designer or space planner will prove helpful further down the line; but what about now? Firstly there are several staffing aspects to evaluate:
- What is the current office headcount?
- Does the number of staff distinctively fluctuate over the year?
- Do you want to employ new working models (such as agile working)?
- Will there be desk sharing or does everyone need a workstation?
- Do you expect to expand the business over the next 2 years?
- What types of tasks will the staff be undertaking (executive, sales or admin)?
The general rule of office space is 150 – 300 sq ft per person (inclusive of kitchenettes, breakout spaces and conference rooms) dependent on your industry. As leases usually last between 2 to 5 years, add 10% to 20% to account for future growth.
For a more precise calculation, you will need to define the types of space required for your new space. Our prepopulated office space calculator can help you take stock of your current and future layout – ensuring that each possible layout accurately reflects your requirements.
We also have other tools to support the office space calculator such as our budget calculator tool and timescale calculator tool. A great way to start thinking about your imminent office relocation or refurbishment.